Skip to main content

Novel editing progress update - Things are getting better!

Last week's lesson was a complete miss as you probably know. So I'm in the twelfth week of my How to Edit your Novel course by Holly Lisle and I'm still making up my mind about it. Overall the course is good but a few bits come over repetitive as a result, so I've bailed out on doing a few lessons.

As time passes. I realised if I was going to meet my deadline, I'd have to refer to other material outside the course and I did. If I was doing this course for fun or without a deadline, I probably would have being more patient but with deadline ahead I couldn't afford to go beyond 12 weeks to get a Eureka moment.

So I went digging for all my old writing and editing books and managed to diagnose the problem with my story.

What was the problem?

I had missed out an important part of the story. Literally jumped over this part. Even though my story passed all the Holly Lisle tests on theme, plot and subplots - I kept feeling there was something missing.
So after browsing a few other books, I found what the problem was. I must add many writers will tell you what works for one book will not work for another so at times it takes a lot of searching before coming up with what's wrong.

What was the solution?

It was great knowing what was wrong but that didn't solve it. Knowing what the problem is half the solution but not the entire solution. So I came up with a few solutions but they felt contrived. I even wrote down a scene - it just felt wrong and forced. It didn't make sense at all. Then I decided to brainstorm for ideas but that doesn't really work for me while I'm writing. However I pushed and pushed until I got an inkling of an idea.

Can't say what it is now because that will give the story away.....

YAY! Not the most original idea but it fits the existing plot. It's a good fit, a but cliche but it's romance...and I'm happy with it. If I'd thought about this problem and solution before taking the course, I'd have saved myself a lot of money but it was part of the journey. I will talk about budgets and expenses of self-publishing another time.

This story idea will probably stretch into 10-20,000 words, and the existing manuscript is already about 30,000 words so it should be about 45-50,000  once I'm done.

Let's get back to my next lesson.

You will commit to your keeper characters. Earlier, you identified which characters were weak and which were strong, which were cast well and which had the wrong roles. But as you worked through later lessons and learned more about what your story could be, your ideas will have changed and improved. 

This week the course is back on track with some very useful information I can use, so I'm pleased to say the dry patch may be over. However I am going to start my writing of the new part. I can't wait until the final weeks of the course to start doing the actual writing otherwise I'll be very delayed.

Next step is writing, and I think the next few lessons will deal with other stuff like timing which I'm also looking forward too.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...