Skip to main content

Daily Writing Journal: Monday - show me your desk & Back to Basics with Editing



My desk is probably due a good scrub down to get rid of the pencil marks but let's roll. In the upper left hand side is  a bottle of Pukka organic castor oil, I use this as a hair treatment. A friend and former colleague suggested it was good. It sits on my desk because normally in a rush, I tend to use the living room mirror to do my hair. Don't ask why. I just realised I have a mirror in every room apart from the kitchen. What does that say about me?

Next to it is a container with scenes summary of my story, some masking tape and a complimentary post-its from Netgallery - I got this from a book fair. I needed the masking tape to seal some mail before posting. Yes, I still use snail mail. The greenish-blue tube contains some hand cream. I think that is a ringlet curly curler...Don't ask why...I have no idea. After that is a jewellery box - it contained a pair of gifted ear rings from Sis. A padlock which I tired to use for the gym but was too small.  My handy calculator, I'm not one for using the my mobile/cell phone.  The red stand for for my desk lamp and that is a daily calendar which I don't really use. Maybe I'll take it to work....Could do.

If you read the rest of my blog you probably know of my editing drama so that is one of the editing book I had to dig out. Revision and Self Editing for Publication by James Scott Bell. Desperate times, people, call for desperate measures. I have a lot of how-to books, I tend to buy the to feel good or thinking they will help only to find out not really.  Or the solutions don't meet what I want.

Then under the book sits my faithful MacBook Air.

Back to Basics with Editing

Bringing the pup again. In desperation, I pulled this out and looked at a few pages, then decided it was probably simpler to rewrite my story. Yes, the one thing I've been avoiding since I started this editing process about five months ago - REWRITING THE ENTIRE BOOK.  It's not as a bad as it sounds, I'm just going back to basics.

One that is done, I'll consult Revision and Self Editing for Publication by James Scott Bell's check list plan. It's a funny  (not humour but peculiar) old book that in the first part is just revision of writing or a rehash of James Scott Bell's  plot book - which I also have, but the final chapter is just a good clean editing checklist. Why didn't I follow it before? There is quite a lot of information in it and it's easy to get lost. However my present course (still good) had pointed  out areas I need to work at. This means I can focus and drill in on those areas rather than waste time.

So while I wait for week seventeen's lesson of my course, I'l still be making progress. The thing with anything even courses, if I get at least 50% that makes a difference and adds value, then it's worth it. It's  just at present, I think parts are repetitive but hopefully that will change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My African American & Black Love Romance Adventure Nearly Ready After Four Years.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read this. This post is going to be about my upcoming black love and African American contemporary romance release, which I think tentatively will be late this year or early 2024. It will be a six-part serialised novel, and I'll reveal the date nearer the time. It has been five years since my last black love romance novel. I have two novellas published on Amazon, and I'm  pleased to finally say, I'm about to publish again. It's been a long time.  I planned to release this book in February 2019, but after a long writer's block and other things, it had taken me this long to complete it.  If you follow this blog on and off, I've spoken about it a lot over the years. I'm thinking maybe I should relabel those blog posts as a series of how it developed.  The Story Description The names have changed well from Angelica to Pippa but it's fine.  Everyone wants someone special but PIPPA MILLER thinks not her. She

On holiday And Vacation in Alcudia,Mallorca

I'm on a holiday break in Mallorca, Spain. So this means a I won't be writing the prompt. On holiday, I normally have a break from  the internet though it's difficult nowadays with free WiFi. The hotel is okay. A four star on the lower end of the scale - this means no kettle and renting the safe.   The higher end have more add ons. The room are tiny but functional and nice however in fairness it is a beach holiday destination so I doubt there is much lounging around. Food is okay. Superb beach. Everyone seems laid back and relaxed. 

Finally I'm getting close to a release date for my urban Black Love African America Romance now Pippa & Leyton

I'm working on a pre-release campaign and it isn't going how I'd like it. However if you have being reading me on and off, you'll know I've been writing some novels-in-progress for the longest times!  I stopped writing about it because it just got EMBARRASSING especially when I planned to release this book in 2019. Yes, five years ago! But it's nearly there.  Leyton & Pippa The heroine started off being called Angelica but I kept on misspelling it so I changed it to Pippa. If you look under the label Angelica & Leyton a lot will come up.  Anyway I'm exciting to say, I'm getting reading for publication soon.  Its going to be a six-part serialised instalment, and I'll have details nearer the time.  Maybe A Six Months Countdown I'm planning between three to six months, however when the details are clear, I'll write a post. I'm also doing an extended blog posts on another blog but I'll keep it short and simple here.