Skip to main content

Daily Writing Journal: Novel editing progress update! Emotional Writing Baggage! Booked to go to Writing Romantic Fiction



This week's lesson on plot  is another miss for me. Though it's a very good course, it is over stretched, or maybe perhaps useful for beginners, rather than experienced writers. It's a personal opinion so in the last ten weeks and for this week, only half the lessons have been of value to me.

I found lessons one to five useful, some parts of six and seven, but not enough to warrant doing any writing, and I opted out of eight and nine because I felt they were repetitive of the earlier lessons.

I'm now on part two, lesson ten was a miss. It was about tackling story and theme again it felt repetitive from earlier lessons and the work was just because. HOWEVER very valid for the BEGINNER writer. If I was a beginner, I'd have thrown myself into the exercise but at this point, no.

This is on plots and reworking plot. I'm taking a miss because the advice is very generic - pretty much the stuff in my how-to-write books and other writing notes which I can use. I guess I'm really waiting for week seventeen when I start to do the major revision. Another six weeks.

What Happens Now!


Well...I've dug out some old editing notes from a conference I attend a couple of years ago. I also have some notes from a masterclass and I'll use those until the lessons start to resonate with me again. 

Emotional Writing Baggage!

I feel like I'm pulling and weighed down by a big sack of incomplete work - about ten novellas/novels. The situation with my current editing process is causing a lot more frustration and disillusionment than it should.  I also feels a sense of urgency that nothing is happening. What I don't want to do is start a new work, which is what I normally do when I reach a road block in one manuscript.  
Right now the road is bumpy but hopefully, I'll navigate it okay.

Finishing on a positive note, I'll work something out. I've also complete a rough outline for a story I couldn't finish two years ago - I think it's the paranormal romance on my WIP list. It's based on fairytales with a twist, it may end up being dark fantasy - not sure. I wrote the first half in present tense but I'll probably change it. Here is snippet.

In the soothing sunshine, his mind disturbed, Hanson swims in the turquoise sea, making powerful strides towards the shore. The gentle breeze caresses his face and strokes his back while he thinks of the Dark Prince betrothed to his sister. The thought sends turmoil shuddering through his bones. He has to rescue her. He has given his word.

The peaceful beach lined with swaying palm trees and the shore of gleaming white sand do nothing to calm his fear. He had made a bond. A bond he must keep.

Writing Romantic Fiction Event!


Exciting news! I'm booked to go to the Romance Fiction event in Leeds. So I've booked my train tickets and place. The have some top headliners in ROMANCE so I shall fear not, hopefully can pick up some good editing tips if I'm still in this funk!

Excited about this! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...