Skip to main content

Guilt Free Planning: Finished the Manga drawing book and starting a new book...

Goal: was to complete all the 131 drawings in this book, and I finally finished all the drawings in the  'How to Draw Manage in Simple Steps by Yishan Li. It got complicated towards the end, and I got a bit bored but I pushed through.  Below are my copies of the final illustrations.


Start Date: 9th March 2019  Completion Date: 27 April 2019

Background: I love picking up instructional books, there is something empowering about them and I feel my life would change but more often than not it's just a 'pick me up' to be tossed in the corner and never used again (if I bought a copy), or returned to the library - unused.

But having discovered an article called a guilt-free plan, I decided to start small and use this book to see. https://dabwrites.blogspot.com/2019/03/daily-writing-journal-guilt-free.html I put in all this post, including a plan.

Reflect and review of goal

What went well.

Once I'd outline a plan I felt committed to doing it, even though there was no reward other than completing the book, I had a nagging feeling when I did nothing. So during my free time, I drew. I also become less precious about whether the drawings looked like the book's examples because after a while it dawned on me the instructor was a professional with years and year of practice. Basically, I threw precision and perfection out of the window, and just drew.

I pushed myself through the boring drawings or ones I didn't particular like. Normally, I'd have skipped or procrastinated when it got to difficult or tedious parts but I kept going.

What didn't go well.

Embracing my imperfect often rubbish drawings was hard. I was very self-critical during the beginning, in fact it was only mid-way after sixty odd drawings, I became comfortable.  

I realised my weak areas such as proportion, and perspective. Also drawing swirls, curves and loops. Then at some point, I just focused on the goal of completion, so there was a phase when I ceased to do any inking (colouring in), it was purely sketching with pencil and black ink, or whatever I had around.

At some point, I just raced to the end, surpassing my inner critic on the presentation of the pictures I drew.

Learnings & Takeaways

  • Making the plan was the easiest and most enjoyable part of the journey. I guess that's why most of us have lots and lots of unfilled plans. Plans also make things conceptually a lot easier and simpler than they are. Following and keeping to the plan is a different ball game - I got so bored at time.
  • Reviewing and reflecting is important so I  could adjust the plan. I found this was very good, especially when I got bored or missed days, I would go and review my plan, tick off the drawings I'd done, then look at the dates. Sometimes, I'd have to adjust the dates or make a mental note to keep up.
  • Focusing on the main goal was important. At times, I got distracted or a little down that my drawings looked very poor but I had to remember the main goal was completing the book. 
  • One goal of a kind is good enough. I started off thinking I do go about three drawing books at a time but soon realised that was a planner's dream.  Now I realise because I loved planning stage (without executing them), I would plan my time because it seemed so simple on paper but in reality it was too much. So one drawing book.

Next Drawing Goal

Task: Complete all 260 drawings in How to Draw Anything by Mark Linley
By When: 24th November.This is the very latest time  because I've already reached drawing 49, I only have 211 drawing left. So if I did one drawing a day it would take me 211 days.  However I expect it will be much quicker maybe half that time so end of August maybe even earlier, depending on how simple and interesting the drawings are.
Not included: There are assignments in the book, which I'm skipping as they will add on about 100 more drawings. However if I'm making good time, I may include them.
My starting point: drawing 49

Steps Backwards

  • Show my final piece and the book on this blog
  • return my book the library
  • draw my final piece
  • Review and reflect regularly.
  • Draw at least one day, 

A minimum of one drawing a day, seven a week, and making up when I miss the target. Perhaps I should have monthly reviews to see where I am. Or maybe when I'm done.

That's it...well I have a few more drawing books waiting for me to complete them, but one at a time...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...