Skip to main content

Wednesday Film, Movie 0r Boxset Night: Sunset Boulevard


This was film was suggested by my writing workshop so I was surprised when it finally arrived it was in black and white.  Saying that it was easy to watch and there were some good one liners. I also enjoyed the narrative direction because it starts off at the end. The beginning is the first end and then the film is told retrospectively. 


It's a bit like My Cousin Rachel by Daphne du Maurier - the book not the movie. So basically a young screen writer who is in debt stumbles across an old house on Sunset Boulevard, and meets an ageing silent movie star called Norma Desmond and things develop from there with a twisted love story or romance of sorts. Overall it's easy watching and you feel sympathy for all the characters.  You know what's going to happened in end because that is revealed in the beginning but you don't know how or why.


It did make me think about today's fading celebrities and how they cope with change. There are a lot of Norma Desmonds around, clinging on to fame, screaming about agism and lack of parts for older actresses. Nothing has really changed even though the film was released nearly 69 years ago, in 1950.  Nothing.

In fact there was a scene when Norma Desmond started to do those dances she used to do in her twenties even though she was fifty and all of a sudden I thought of Jennifer Lopez, Janet Jackson and Madonna trying to get down with the kids. It was a very sobering moment.

So good movie, but may feel a bit slow for some. For me it was the right pace. Great classic and worth watching.

And if you get the chance to watch it on DVD watch it again with the special feature commentary by Ed Sikov - it gives a different depth to the film and shows the dark comedy at play. Watching with the commentary was funny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...