Skip to main content

Daily Writing Journal: Discovered Hatchards London's oldest bookstore, Editing Update my urban lit African American romance - Leyton and Angelica.

Discovered Hatchards - London's oldest bookstore

My London Hood - Hatchards booksellers

Yes, shame on me for not knowing about this bookstore but please, I do go to Waterstones, Foyles, Daunts - back in the day Dillon and I don't live in Green Park or Mayfair *sniff, sniff* only kidding but it was nice to discover this. 

So let's get on with my blog narrative.  I was walking down Green Park, and discovered Hatchards, an old bookshop or booksellers as the UK bookshops have rebranded themselves. Normally when I go to Green Park and walk towards Piccadilly Circus, I normally just go to the posh Waterstones, or I'm rushing to the underground or running some errand. 

I've never really looked at any of the shops but it was a pleasant discovery. 
I probably just noticed it because I was walking slowly,  taking my time, looking for interesting stuff for my Saturday - My London Hood posts.

Harchards Bookseller

 I think it's owned by Waterstones - well Waterstones has taken it over, only because it had that familar decor and then I saw some books stamped with the Waterstones pricing. If they were independent I probably could have been cheeky and asked if they'd stock my not-so-urban-but-urban romances...do you reckon it's worth a try? 

Check out the chill-out zone. 

I feel I should have some evidence I was actually there, maybe take a picture of a doll of a flyer of my book or something. So marker because all you know is that I'm nicking pictures off the internet....I mean that's what folks do, don't there. And no I don't fancy being in these pictures...

Editing catch up so far: Leyton and Angelica

Working Synopsis 

ANGELICA WASHINGTON'S rare partying on a cold winter's night turns into a steamy intimate encounter with a dark blue-eyed stranger. Letting go of her normal cautious nature, ANGELICA submits her impulses thinking she'll never meet the handsome sexy stranger again.

Circumstances bring them together and they continue their hot passionate affair. One rule. Sex only. But the handsome blue-eyed stranger,  LEYTON THOMAS finds out he wants more, and his lust is slowly turning to love.

The prospect of things turning serious is daunting for ANGELICA  It's not just falling in love that scares her, but the secrets she keeps. Can she trust herself to let go of the past, and give love a chance in her future.


So far so good, and I completed week four on target. I also realise I had so many subplots and stories that go nowhere so I'm slightly concerned about meeting my publication deadline.

So far, I have about five subplots that don't see to go anywhere. I could arc my subplots but remember I'm following instructions here, doing as the lesson tells me. I'm not sure what else I'm going to cover in the next 17 lessons but we'll see. Should I tag the lessons? Okay let's see.

According to Holly Lisle's site  based on her experience as a former nurse. https://hollyswritingclasses.com/shop/how-to-revise-your-novel

Trauma Triage — FIND the big bad stuff in the story - These are lesson 1 to 8. So I'm just half way, having finished lesson 4.
Major Surgery — FIX the big bad stuff  - lessons 9 to 17
Cosmetic Surgery —Make the book pretty - lessons 18 - 21.

Lesson five of editing course: Conflict

For lesson five, Holly Lisle's site says
  • What kind of conflict you’ve created in every scene (and whether it’s the right kind or the wrong kind).
  • Conflict progression through your story to resolution, and whether you did it well or badly.
  • And whether each conflict you’ve introduced adds to or subtracts from your story…and whether each one matters.
It's pretty much what it says on the time. Conflict...This time, I'm going to keep a tally of the time I've spent doing this. I don't think there is going to be much change in direction until week 9. I wish this could be more interesting but I find editing is more tedious than writing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My African American & Black Love Romance Adventure Nearly Ready After Four Years.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read this. This post is going to be about my upcoming black love and African American contemporary romance release, which I think tentatively will be late this year or early 2024. It will be a six-part serialised novel, and I'll reveal the date nearer the time. It has been five years since my last black love romance novel. I have two novellas published on Amazon, and I'm  pleased to finally say, I'm about to publish again. It's been a long time.  I planned to release this book in February 2019, but after a long writer's block and other things, it had taken me this long to complete it.  If you follow this blog on and off, I've spoken about it a lot over the years. I'm thinking maybe I should relabel those blog posts as a series of how it developed.  The Story Description The names have changed well from Angelica to Pippa but it's fine.  Everyone wants someone special but PIPPA MILLER thinks not her. She

Finally I'm getting close to a release date for my urban Black Love African America Romance now Pippa & Leyton

I'm working on a pre-release campaign and it isn't going how I'd like it. However if you have being reading me on and off, you'll know I've been writing some novels-in-progress for the longest times!  I stopped writing about it because it just got EMBARRASSING especially when I planned to release this book in 2019. Yes, five years ago! But it's nearly there.  Leyton & Pippa The heroine started off being called Angelica but I kept on misspelling it so I changed it to Pippa. If you look under the label Angelica & Leyton a lot will come up.  Anyway I'm exciting to say, I'm getting reading for publication soon.  Its going to be a six-part serialised instalment, and I'll have details nearer the time.  Maybe A Six Months Countdown I'm planning between three to six months, however when the details are clear, I'll write a post. I'm also doing an extended blog posts on another blog but I'll keep it short and simple here. 

On holiday And Vacation in Alcudia,Mallorca

I'm on a holiday break in Mallorca, Spain. So this means a I won't be writing the prompt. On holiday, I normally have a break from  the internet though it's difficult nowadays with free WiFi. The hotel is okay. A four star on the lower end of the scale - this means no kettle and renting the safe.   The higher end have more add ons. The room are tiny but functional and nice however in fairness it is a beach holiday destination so I doubt there is much lounging around. Food is okay. Superb beach. Everyone seems laid back and relaxed.