Skip to main content

Weekly Round up: More walking in London, Commercialisation of the Harry Potter Trolley at Platform 9 and three quarters, Kings Cross, Day trip to Leeds.

It's been another busy week at work, however I've taken to doing some walking because I felt I was just sitting down too much in one place, plus I had no excuse because of my new walking shoes. So rather than take the bus, I just walked, and took pictures like a tourist...or visitor.
Images across BlackFriars bridge

The other is the London Eye, then the bridge. More popular are St Paul's Cathedral, I'll do a real one of that in my London Hood park.  So that was me just having a bit of walk. I'm aiming to walk for a few minutes everyday. So I'm walking past a few bus stops and train stations - on the other hand, I feel I'm not getting full value of my fare. London bus fare are flat, so there is that bit in me, but heath over money,  I'm trying to think!


This is the a new development which is quite strange because as you approach some people are just hanging their washing out. These are luxury flats but they still have their underwear hanging on ranks outside the window. I'm thinking of locating one of my characters in one of the blocks only it will be on the other side of the river. Yeah...I thinking of a sense of place for Leyton's apartment block. So it may be based on this one.


This is better picture of St Pauls and a statue of Queen Victoria at the foot of the bridge. Or the start of Victoria Embankment.

No Movie Night - DVDs lost in the Post/mail

I got to the cinema once in a while but I belong to a DVD club however it went missing, I think it was probably due to the bank/public holiday. At times there can be a backlog, I didn't even notice because of work.

Leeds for a day: Commercialisation of Platform  9 3/4 at Kings Cross. Where is the Harry Potter trolley?



Since I was getting the early train to Leeds, I decided to go a bit early - like 5am early to see if I could get a photo opp for the blog with the Harry Potter trolley at Platform 9 and three quarters. 
 
But NOT TROLLEY! Can you believe this!  Anyway, I took the picture, sending my bag off to Harry Potter land.


Nothing much on the trip apart from fields. I've never been on this route before. The first time I went to Leeds was from Manchester, and that was a short hop on the regional train service. So it was a different landscape.

keeping busy on the train.
 
Then I arrived in Leeds which was a nice and different. Much more laid back than London, and pleasant in a way. People seem to enjoy life more.


The writing event was more an industry thing and was very nice and informative! Great panels.  It was mostly published authors so I was a little out of my depth with the conversations. But it was nice to see so many romance authors in the room.  It wasn't how to publish or anything but just a writer's event.  Spotting me won't be so hard....I mean really.

You can get more insight and details here. https://twitter.com/hashtag/SoAWritingRomance?src=hash or just google the hashtag #SoAWritingRomance

https://romanticnovelistsassociation.org/event/rna-authors-north-writing-romantic-fiction/edate/2019-05-11/

Finally I came back into London and guess what? Oh yeah, the TROLLEY had appeared. This was 9pm and the queue was going strong.

The queue outside the Harry Potter Platform.

The lucky Wizard to go next...

However I was too tired to join the queue so I just went home. But at least I know now the HP trolley has its own working hours. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...