Skip to main content

Monday - show me your desk! More clutter and an unread book on mastery.



Does the clutter ever do? No. My desk is normally used as extra storage or an temporary space when I'm tidying up. Anyway, the weekend was hectic due to busy work, then a day trip to up country to Leeds, so I only had Sunday to myself. And on Sunday, I was updating the blog as well.

So shall we?

Starting from lower left handside and working upwards - clockwise. To digress, it's funny how all clocks are now digital so in a way the whole clockwise, or anti-clockwise thing may be redundant for a younger generations. I remember being taught to tell the time. I was really bad at it. But it's kinda interesting because some people use it for directions as well. On you'll see that person in a three o'clock direction - that way you automatically know they will be on your right hand side etc...Anway back to the desk.

There are a pile of books and folders. The wire bound is just a notebook for stuff, yeah, stuff. Then on  top of that are my course notes for plotting, setting and characterisation. Yes, I love courses, which you'll probably have figured out if you read my blog. But I use them to write, and it's also habit. I don't go on really expensive courses nor do I have expectations. The course thing started off with me going to evening classes rather than sitting in watching TV. I also do used to do courses in other things, so public speaking, cooking, drawing, music - basically anything interesting - so it's just what I spend my cash on. That and food.

Let's free-style. I'll just go into the flora note books, those are from Waitrose and also contain notes, this time from workshops, I've attended over a three year period - and cheating because I said I was going clockwise but I've decided to just deal with the lower part of the desk, the pink folder contains my long-suffering manuscript of Leyton and Angelica. Plus scores of notes from the Holly Lisle Course and a few notes from the Curtis Brown course. Yeah...it's courses' note galore on my desk.

One thing about courses, though I love courses, I've never quite finish a body of work on one especially a novel, and with experience I realise its also good to have another support, if you can't finish  your novel or polish your story. Most have workshopping spaces for ex-students, some students get together but I've found my online workshop to be great at that. That is Scribophile, and if you can't afford course, and don't mind learning the hard way,  it's worth joining a writing group, gritting your teeth, filtering through all the feedback and pushing on.

Let's go upwards now. Back to left hand side, there is a calculator, a soft toy which I thought of maybe taking as a mascot on London Hood tours to include in pictures. But that will just make me look weird so no. Or maybe.

Next to that is my pen holder which is a beer mug from the continent, my pencil case with lots of pens and pencils and felt pens I rarely use. Then a borrowed book on Mastery. I borrowed that from a big boss at work just because. Well, he was having a clean out and I asked if I could borrow it because I thought it would be good fun to tear it apart for my blog but I haven't had the time to read it fully and make notes. The one thing I need to focus on is editing my novel...

That's it. Have a great week!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...