Skip to main content

2019 GOALS Quarter 1 January-March Review.


This is a review of goals/resolutions I set in January in the below blog post.  thttps://dabwrites.blogspot.com/2019/01/16-daily-writing-journal-short-2018.html and basically I'm just going to write under my reviews under the headings. For some reason, I only listed 9.

2019 GOALS Quarter 1 January-March Review.

1. Get a new role - this is urgent and top priority Achieved 

I was on a contract and it came to an end. It took me sometime because I was wrapping up in my old role, then I fell ill, (you can check out those blog posts). It was hectic but I had strong support around me so it worked out well. I was hoping my contract would be extended but it wasn't as I really liked where I worked so it was tough but I got there in the end. I was blessed to get a new role!

2 Publish Leyton and Angelica's story

The editing is currently in process - check out my Sunday posts, I probably have to do a better schedule. I hope to publish in the late Summer, early fall.  I'm thinking of outlining a better plan but I'll see.

3 Do at least three CPD - for career development - I was a bit lax last year because my employer supplied them.

CPD means continuous professional development. I was actually talking to my colleagues about this, so I'll have to see what's on offer. So definitely on my to do list.

4. Romance? Maybe. We'll see. I had one in 2017 - not so good. But maybe again.

Hmm....I can't believe I put my business out there.  I'll leave you guessing....

5. Lose another 5-6kg so about 13-15lb. I'm currently 79kg which is roughly about 174 pounds. So I'm looking at becoming about 160 pounds.

Yes, I need to focus on this, though I have been going to the gym.

6 Revise all my creative writing courses exercises & grammar

I do these on and off. So I'm not sure if it's worth putting on as a goal. Maybe I need to have an outcome?

7 If I'm good, maybe treat myself with another writing course. Achieved

Done! I've just completed a workshop today. I'm not sure this is a goal since it's something I do at least once or twice a year.

8 Explore other creative avenues open to me.

Yes, I'm drawing so I guess that counts but will review this. As discussed, I'm working through a manga drawing workbook so it's working.

9. Complete 20 books in my goodreads authors account, and probably 12 in my normal joe-blogs reader's  - no duplicating. 

I actually put a 20 book target in my normal accounts so I'm looking at 40 books this year. I've done two in my author account and 8 in my normal account.

2019 Writerly Goals 

  • Publish two stories either in novel/novella form

This includes Leyton & Angelica, so I need one more. 

  • Write a spin off short story to two books - the first from Another Chance, second is a spin off from Leyton & Angelica (working title)

Yeah, I am thinking about it.

What going well?

I achieved the most important one, so that was good.  I had to looked at the employment cycles within my industry and profession - it's can be seasonal and I was thinking April or May which was scary. Or moving out of the industry into something else but that meant getting stuck.  Then I was budgeting to see how long things to last, also started to tighten my belt. But it worked out! 

What not going so well/room for improvement?

I think it may help if my goals were qualitative or measurable. Some of them are pretty vague so its nard to know if I've actually achieved them or not. So I think I'll need to put down a specific indicator or target. Or something. Those are probably just #6 & #8, so I'll be revising them at some point.  A little more time practicing following a planning may be needed on my part. 

Going forward

I started with 9 goals so I have 7 left and 1 where I'm not disclosing the status. I discussed a planning tool I discovered so I'll be using this plan some of goals so it's not so random. Anyway, I'd do the next review at the 6 month mark so I'm looking at the end of June. If I do plan it will probably be on paper but I'll definitely show and still. 

I'm thinking of having a page with my goals. Maybe not. This is enough.  I'll see. 

Comments? Do you review, revise or change plans? Reflect on them? I've only started to do that recently and normally I give myself too much....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...