Skip to main content

Smarting Goals, Getting Oganised.

Conflicting goals are very common, I'm finding out. What is most important? What is the one that makes a real difference to your life. This is where I have to get real. I have quite a few. Some are day-dreams - kinda like completing my novel and putting it on Amazon. Others are tedious but will have real life value, however take a lot of effort and effort to push through.

So all my goals make a difference. Some give me hope and fuel my future dreams and ambitions. Others are more realistic but humdrum since they are work related. Put it this way, life is more than work. So I guess there lies my conflict. One is about professional development and the other is about creative development. However professional development takes up more time and on a deeper level lacks the satisfaction a creative work would give me.

Anyway enough moaning about things. So I've SMARTed my professional development goal, which I've been calling the personal goal.

So Specific - I want to complete the last module of my qualification.

Measureable. Yes it is. Breaking goal down to tasks I realise I have five parts - each can be further broken into steps. I can tick each off as I go.

Attainable. Well I wouldn't be doing it if it wasn't. Boring but attainable.

Relevant and Realistic: Yeah, I need to. In fact I often get a few expressions of horror and disbelief that it's taken me this long. But as I said, I find it boring. There may be an financial reward to getting it done, but that also is another goal in itself. Nothing comes easy.

Time scale. I'd take a whim to think December but having gone for a professional development conference I think I'd slightly misjudged the amount of time. Basically pulled that time out of a hat. So having revisited the goal and put a realistic time frame, I'm looking at March 2016. This fits factors in contingency time and all that lark.

To be fair that is probably the biggest obstacle to getting other goals done. That is kind of my number one goal.

I guess what is missing is MOTIVATION. WHY AM I DOING THIS? WHAT IS DRIVING ME? The reasons I started off this qualification are now redundant. Obsolete. My life has changed so much and it’s taken a while so it’s all gone. I started it because of the flexible lifestyle and strong job market, not for passion of the profession. However things didn’t pan out that way, so the motivating factor had lost steam. However I’m nearly there. Lesson. Do something you love, rather than for the benefits you think you’d get. Because if those benefits change, the goal may lose the appeal. Luckily for me, I like what I do - a little more than a job that pays the bill. But ‘like’ is very different from love or passionate.

Anyway I've broken my goal into steps and writing this has made me realise maybe I need to focus on this and put others on hold. But the thing is I like to write. So maybe I'll just read books and write short stories in draft. Or maybe just write ten minutes every day otherwise I'd feel I'm treading water in other things I really want to do. My passion. All work and no play makes Bigga Day very dull. So dull. Really dull.

So that's sorted then. I’ll focus on the professional goal, and do five-ten minutes timed writing on the other stuff.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...