Skip to main content

Weekly Round up: Cakes from Konditor, London Closed for Cyclists, The Stone of Free Speech Writing Progress.

Cakes and Crumble for Konditor


A few days ago, for a family get-together gathering, I got ordered two cakes from Konditor (formerly Konditor and Cook). In my opinion they are one of the best cake shops in London. However just a few days before the family event, it got cancelled because my cousin, the host, was feeling under the weather.



But yesterday, I collected them and took them over to my mother. Above is the summer crumble - which is a peach and raspberry crumble - very light and great for hot weather. I have a feeling that it was smaller than the shop pieces. That maybe they bake different measurements for the shop pieces (which is what I eat). Anyway it was a great hit with Sis and Big Momma. Its also what I have when I go past the shop - which is now and again, depending on what route I take.

This is the popular Red Velvet, but it didn't taste like how it used to. Saying that, I haven't had a slice for about two years and I guess once in a while, cake shops may change their recipes. Plus the last Red Velvet cake from Konditor (then Cook & Konditor) I ordered was about three years ago, and it was much larger. And I stopped eating slices of Red Velvet about a year ago.

Saying that it was delicious and very filling so would have gone down a treat at the party, however next time, I'd probably go with a safer option of a plain Victoria sponge or carrot cake. I need to expand beyond Red Velvet and carrot cake - sometimes I get a plain lemon drizzle. It's just at times other cakes just seem too fussy.

So we enjoyed the cakes at Big Momma. I was actually thinking of getting some supermarket cakes on the day but opted for ordering. Tesco's finest range does nice chocolate cakes, and Waitrose first range does a delicious carrot cake. Sainsbury's ordinary range also does a nice chocolate cake is also very tasty. Some do a nice lemon drizzle which can be light for the summer. Anyway, I'm really into cake. I rarely eat Kipling though. They are exceedingly nice for others, not me.

London Closed for Cyclists

The whole of London was shut down for cyclists, and no, I'm not happy because it made getting my cakes from the Konditor shop difficult. My entire bus route was shut down. I wasn't pleased.  So I had  did a lot of walking, I guess you could say I needed the exercise but really? I don't think so. 

I just don't understand how they can shut down a major route for just leisure cycling. It was so irritating.  These guys in London Mayor office just don't think. They don't. What about people who work on those major routes or businesses. Sporting events are different because businesses get the foot traffic through their doors, but a bunch of dodgy overweight cyclists? Please.

A Visit to Parliament Hill


I had an early appointment in that part of North London. It's nice and leafy there. I got there too early, It was supposed to be a thirty minutes journey  however in peak traffic, last time it took me about an hours. Anyway, I got there very early and sat in the park for a while.

In the fair distance you can make out the London Eye or maybe not. I did but you can probably work out familiar shapes of the landscape from my other pictures. Again, maybe not.

The Stone of Free Speech on Parliament Hill


So I walked up the hill and was attracted to some stone structure. And looking at it now on Googgle says apparently it's call the stone of free speech. The stone seems to the shrouded in secrecy and controversy but yes that is the Stone of Free Speech. Apparently Parliament Hill used to be called Traitor's Hill.  How interesting. Nowadays I think modern Pagans now have gathering around it. Yeah, it it what it is. 

Writing Progress

Not to much to report. I'm probably going to be pushing back my publication to 2020 because I'm thinking of applying to a writing programme to finish it. The Holly Lisle How to Edit Your Novel didn't work for me. And that is a loss of about $400 but it's something I've wanted to try for years, nearly five years so at least my curiosity is out of the way. Expensive, but it's over.  

I've looked at a couple of writing courses and programmes but they are either too basic or not what I really want. My second option was to try How To Edit Your Novel but the person I asked for independent feedback hasn't come back to me yet. On the other hand I met someone earlier in the year, who said it was great however it's a lot of money. Maybe I should chase up on the feedback. I know all courses don't work for everyone, but I'm dyslexic so I need to be careful, especially if the course is pricey.  

I know I used the book, How To Edit Your Novel - which is very good but that is £14.99, and cheaper on Kindle. But you need to add a couple of zeros to see the price of the course. 

The next course I'm considering is in lower end of that price range, is actually off-line in London. It also means I can ask more questions, as in the tutors are more accessible. Like you shove your work in front of them, or corner them at the break. That sort of thing.  Online courses can be quite rigid in the respect. 

Also another benefit of off-line courses cohorts is that after the course you can meet up in a pub or coffee or something and form your own mini-critiquing group. I've been on an online one, The Curtis Brown,  that tried to do it the facebook way but it doesn't work. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My African American & Black Love Romance Adventure Nearly Ready After Four Years.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read this. This post is going to be about my upcoming black love and African American contemporary romance release, which I think tentatively will be late this year or early 2024. It will be a six-part serialised novel, and I'll reveal the date nearer the time. It has been five years since my last black love romance novel. I have two novellas published on Amazon, and I'm  pleased to finally say, I'm about to publish again. It's been a long time.  I planned to release this book in February 2019, but after a long writer's block and other things, it had taken me this long to complete it.  If you follow this blog on and off, I've spoken about it a lot over the years. I'm thinking maybe I should relabel those blog posts as a series of how it developed.  The Story Description The names have changed well from Angelica to Pippa but it's fine.  Everyone wants someone special but PIPPA MILLER thinks not her. She

Finally I'm getting close to a release date for my urban Black Love African America Romance now Pippa & Leyton

I'm working on a pre-release campaign and it isn't going how I'd like it. However if you have being reading me on and off, you'll know I've been writing some novels-in-progress for the longest times!  I stopped writing about it because it just got EMBARRASSING especially when I planned to release this book in 2019. Yes, five years ago! But it's nearly there.  Leyton & Pippa The heroine started off being called Angelica but I kept on misspelling it so I changed it to Pippa. If you look under the label Angelica & Leyton a lot will come up.  Anyway I'm exciting to say, I'm getting reading for publication soon.  Its going to be a six-part serialised instalment, and I'll have details nearer the time.  Maybe A Six Months Countdown I'm planning between three to six months, however when the details are clear, I'll write a post. I'm also doing an extended blog posts on another blog but I'll keep it short and simple here. 

On holiday And Vacation in Alcudia,Mallorca

I'm on a holiday break in Mallorca, Spain. So this means a I won't be writing the prompt. On holiday, I normally have a break from  the internet though it's difficult nowadays with free WiFi. The hotel is okay. A four star on the lower end of the scale - this means no kettle and renting the safe.   The higher end have more add ons. The room are tiny but functional and nice however in fairness it is a beach holiday destination so I doubt there is much lounging around. Food is okay. Superb beach. Everyone seems laid back and relaxed.