Skip to main content

Show My Desk: Fresh Produce - Fruit & Veg from Big Mama's garden, Thinning apples in Australia, books on polishing sentences, folder and hold punch!


my desk
A fairly busy desk compared with previous weeks. So lets start with the folder. That is my one of my writing folders, I have a few scattered around my home. On the left hand side is a pencil, opposite is a famous text called the The Art of Styling Sentences. Yes, I figure I need a little more practice in writing clearer sentences in some of my scenes. 

I had a conversation with Big Mama (my mother) about this writing lark. Before I just used to write a draft and go on to the next, but since publishing my books, I've had to really think about editing and making sure I produced a story to the best of my ability, and if you have followed me on the blog you'll know the this current manuscript has been a real task in time, money and effort. 

Anyway, I've had this book for years but never used it - but then I had no cause to as the other stories just feel into place. Let's not digress, next are the fruit and veg my mother brought from her garden. Three apples (large ones) and a cucumber so I'll need to make some salad or use it in a smoothie.  She had a lot of apples but most were very small so the ones in the picture were the only 'apple-as-we-know-it' size. This is normally the case, I've worked in an apple orchard before, and what happens is  to get the supermarket (standard recognised) size the apples are thinned, is that the trees are thinned.

A throwback picture of me working on the farm back in the day in Queensland, Australia, you can just make out the ladder behind for the taller trees. So basically the farmhands (err...me...) would go round each tree and ensure that each apple had room to grow. So at times this would mean removing a cluster. So I was paid per tree. Basically I'd thin a number of trees and the farm supervisor would come round, inspect and approve. Then I'd get paid. I lasted all of two weeks before I headed off for greener (ha!) pastures...I headed off on a one way ticket west - not home but to WA! I mean Perth.

Back to my desk, next is the spellbinding sentence book, then the hold punch. I rescued that from the being binned and taken to the dump. It's preloved and now helping me with my masses of loose paper. After the hole-punch  is my CD player remote control. Yes, old school as I still like my CDs and I like playing music out loud. I'm damaging my eardrums for anyone.

I guess that's it!

Comments

  1. Fantastic! I love rhis episode, it is very informative.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My African American & Black Love Romance Adventure Nearly Ready After Four Years.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read this. This post is going to be about my upcoming black love and African American contemporary romance release, which I think tentatively will be late this year or early 2024. It will be a six-part serialised novel, and I'll reveal the date nearer the time. It has been five years since my last black love romance novel. I have two novellas published on Amazon, and I'm  pleased to finally say, I'm about to publish again. It's been a long time.  I planned to release this book in February 2019, but after a long writer's block and other things, it had taken me this long to complete it.  If you follow this blog on and off, I've spoken about it a lot over the years. I'm thinking maybe I should relabel those blog posts as a series of how it developed.  The Story Description The names have changed well from Angelica to Pippa but it's fine.  Everyone wants someone special but PIPPA MILLER thinks not her. She

Finally I'm getting close to a release date for my urban Black Love African America Romance now Pippa & Leyton

I'm working on a pre-release campaign and it isn't going how I'd like it. However if you have being reading me on and off, you'll know I've been writing some novels-in-progress for the longest times!  I stopped writing about it because it just got EMBARRASSING especially when I planned to release this book in 2019. Yes, five years ago! But it's nearly there.  Leyton & Pippa The heroine started off being called Angelica but I kept on misspelling it so I changed it to Pippa. If you look under the label Angelica & Leyton a lot will come up.  Anyway I'm exciting to say, I'm getting reading for publication soon.  Its going to be a six-part serialised instalment, and I'll have details nearer the time.  Maybe A Six Months Countdown I'm planning between three to six months, however when the details are clear, I'll write a post. I'm also doing an extended blog posts on another blog but I'll keep it short and simple here. 

On holiday And Vacation in Alcudia,Mallorca

I'm on a holiday break in Mallorca, Spain. So this means a I won't be writing the prompt. On holiday, I normally have a break from  the internet though it's difficult nowadays with free WiFi. The hotel is okay. A four star on the lower end of the scale - this means no kettle and renting the safe.   The higher end have more add ons. The room are tiny but functional and nice however in fairness it is a beach holiday destination so I doubt there is much lounging around. Food is okay. Superb beach. Everyone seems laid back and relaxed.