Skip to main content

#38 Daily Writing Journal - Editing Update my urban lit African American romance - Leyton and Angelica.

Editing Update my urban lit African American romance  - Leyton and Angelica


I'm pleased with my progress but though I have a schedule with writing, I work in a storm, a zone, I just get lost. This is because  its my escapism and pretty my the only thing I have control over - sometimes. So more often than not I do a little more. However I do have a timer to tell me when its timeout.

I'm probably not following the Holly Lisle How to Edit Your Novel lesson one as strictly as I should, like I'm not heading for perfections but note I've been on a lot of courses so I do what I can.  I'm doing with broad strokes but her tasks instilled me with confidence.

So far, I've rediscovered a lot of good things and treasures about my story which I hope the reader will enjoy - if I get to keep them. Not there are also a lot of bits that suck!  Remember this is only lesson one. There are also parts that suck. There is a fair bit of emotion. And using Holly Lisle's method - at least in lesson one, I don't feel I suck as a writer. I feel the time I invested in writing this was worthwhile.

I can probably get away with doing this in lesson one because from the course outline https://hollyswritingclasses.com/shop/how-to-revise-your-novel I'll do deeper in lesson three.  This lesson has made me optimistic and excited about editing. Plus I don't get tired workshopping.  As I said workshopping is a great learning model for improving work but it doesn't work for everyone all the time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...