Skip to main content

Happy New Year! On an Internet Detox regime.

Happy New Year, and wishing everyone the best!

I had a great Christmas and New Year with friends and family. I even baked a carrot cake with cream cheese icing. Yum. It's kinda put me off cakes because it was so rich. I've decided to go to Weight-watchers next week and sign up for three months. And for the next few weeks, I've decided to cut down using the internet at home.

Yes, I discovered a lot of my time is online - checking emails, social media, researching  and procrastinating. So after various attempts to stop, I decided the best way was to remove my router and it to Momma AG to keep. It was hard. I replugged the router back four times and went surfing until I decided enough was enough.

It's not that harsh since I have access at work, my local cafe & pub and the public library. Those are manageable. The crutch came when I was doing a critique for a story on the online workshop I belong to and found I'd been on line for five hours. Five hours?

Not bad but I couldn't sleep so I work up at 4.00am since I'm an early riser and logged on. Worse thing was that I never posted the critique. After all that time I decided not it, mostly because the critique was more a philosophical debate than anything else.

It is very hard because I feel as if something is missing, I feel I am missing out. The fear of missing out. The positive thing is that I'm sleeping better since I don't have anything to keep me wired just before I go to bed. I can focus better on other computer tasks and not get distracted. So more productivity!


-----------------------------------------------------------
 Check out Bigga Day's books on

Smashwords.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/bigga
Apple iBooks
https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/bigga-day/id595585425?mt=11
Barnes and Nobles
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/bigga-day
Kobo
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/Search?query=Bigga%20Day&fcsearchfield=Author

Comments

  1. Did your family like your carrot cake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did, thanks. It was very popular.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...