Skip to main content

The Art of Styling Sentences: Practice One

So iI've being banging on about not being able to edit so I decided to take it back to basics.  Not wanting to waste paper I've decided to do it on my blog.

So I'm looking at something called a compound sentence with a semi colon. Okay I don't recall this in grammer class but so far so good.

They rattle on about run on sentences - something I've being accused of but couldn't careless about. And the famous comma splice which also is meaningless.  Oh this is getting boring - it goes on about fragment where I recall all the blue line in Microsoft word telling me about fragments. I'm getting bored now.  Is it a wonder I don't remember my grammer classes as school. Or maybe I've blocked out the trauma.

Okay I'm nearly losing the will to go with this book. I want to toss it aside - it keeps bleeting about what's wrong with grammer.  I like I really care! I just want solution, people! This is going to take more time than I have on schedule. I just thought I was going to practice some crummmy sentenses and bob's your uncle I would be a grammer master.  Not so. I need to sweat.

I guess you can see why editing my book is hard. Well non-existent. Have. Not. Even. Started. Okay I digress back to this pain of toture called styling sentences.

Acutally I'll let you know what a comma splice is. It's when I use a comma instead of a full stop. semi colon or colon to separate two sentences I've joined. Do I care? Nah, not really. So just call me the Queen of Comma Splice. And what the heck is a Splice? Is looks like a misspelt 'slice'.

So example from my book - well a made up example since I'm procastinating about it. Noah easts bean, Kendra didn't love him. I'm going to fix it. Let it hang out there.

Run-on sentence - well it's one where there is no punctuation between two sentences. Like I really care? Will that change my life. So from above being lazy  Noah easts bean Kendra didn't love him.

Then they go into clauses - oh boy. Maybe I should really invest in Holly Lisle's How To Revise Your Novel Course because I'm not sure I can keep going with this.  In fact I've found another slightly cheaper course called Polish Your Writing Style by a writer's mangazine but that too is dear. So it will have to be struggling through this course.

They now talk about parell ideas. Okay I'm lost but I'm gonna keep going. I need to at least complete the first excerise.

My examples
Noah, eat some cake; you know you like cake. 
Some dogs dance; others run and break dance.
Writing is simple; editing is the real pain.

Red town had two shops; Pink city only had one.
His father ran a marathon every year; his mother bakes cookies.

not sure I'm getting this but I'll continue again tomorrow. Or maybe I need to take this more seriously and it at a desk with pen and paper the old fashion way.

Not sure.




-----------------------------------------------------------
 Check out Bigga Day's books on

Smashwords.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/bigga
Apple iBooks
https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/bigga-day/id595585425?mt=11
Barnes and Nobles
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/bigga-day
Kobo
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/Search?query=Bigga%20Day&fcsearchfield=Author

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...