Skip to main content

It's been a while. What I'm up to....Cal Newport & productivity, Digital clean up, Posting my 2023 Goals Late.

I've not posted since October 2022, and it's not so much time, but having something to say. So I'll just give an update on what I'm up to.
Woman

Digital Clean Up

Writing

I'm presently cleaning out my google drive which is currently at 2.3GB but I'm not sure what it is made up of. I guess it's conference material, some backups of my novel, and just random stuff I save. A few shared files but I'm none the wiser. Maybe random pictures but this stuff goes back ten years or since Google gave me free space. The issue with space is that it gets used up. 

Cal Newport & Productivity

workers
I'm listening to Cal Newport who is a productivity guru with a sense of dry humour. I find him entertaining. I listen to him on Spotify. But here are his details if you are interested in yet another person banging on about productivity. Note, he is a professor and academic so he knows what he is talking about. So with him, it's about 'lived' and 'academic' experience rather than inspirational.


He has philosophies on productivity and living a productive life,  and coins it the 'Deep Life', it sounds like a religions sect but whatever. Here is his main podcast portal https://www.thedeeplife.com but he is also available on youtube and other podcast platforms. 

He is a very practical and realistic person so not the follow your dream or passion with out a logical reason type of person.  He is very good, nice voice though a bit fast but great stuff. Check him out if you like listening to productivity. He has good ideas which others may find helpful. 

My novel-in-progress

What is the story
I've been working on this for a long time, years in fact so just to say, I'm still working on it. I've given myself so many deadlines over the years, that I'm playing it by ear this time. 

Posting 2023 Goals Late...

Goal Planning
    I can see I've not posted in months, well since October 2022 and a lot of things have happened but I'll post them now...  It's quite obvious, I just threw stuff together and was hoping for the best, so I'll do a review in June to see where I'm focusing. I tend to forget I work full time and writing is more or less a hobby.

Main goals - work on old pipeline material

  • Revise & edit novel-in-progress #1
  • Complete draft-in-progress # 2
  • Revise & edit draft-in-progress  # 3
  • Craft practice
  • Complete useful InfoStack products
  • Complete rest of 'writing to market' project, or something similar.

Stretch goals

  • Complete two storylines for spin off characters but - this can only be completed book  #1& 2 are completed as it relies on them.
  • Complete a very old draft-in-progress Noah & Kendra (mentioned in this blog) - I've written bits on scraps of paper or random note books which I have to find, so that makes it a stretch.
  • Revamp old draft-in-progress short stories for a particular market

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Had coffee with a fellow writer, went to an exhibition on West Africa: Word, Symbol, Song at the British Library.

There was a massive Disney Christmas tree at St Pancras Station.  I thought I'd start with that picture. Implemented Accounting Guru Genius (AGG)  method this morning. I mentioned yesterdays she showed me her way of planning. Well it's kinda like project management critical path and working back but in AGG's way.  Well the results where what I sort of knew but it's official. I do too much. I've got so much on that I have make very slow progress with anything then end up procrastinating. So I really need to learn and get this planning and time management method under my belt. The only reason is that it's kinda the only thing I actually got. When AGG first did it, I was amazed. It was so impressive. I kinda forgot about it but it's coming up to the end of the year, and I've made great progress with some goals and projects but others are still hanging. Anyway after putting in all my hours I realised I only had a certain amount of free time. Not a...

The Scale (Martha's Way 1) by Mika Jolie

  This is one of the of the best romances I've read in a LONG TIME. I loved it! It's brilliant and even writing a review will not give it justice, but I'll try. Just get it because it's that good, positive and uplifting with a good ending. It’s also funny at times. About the story Most women (or me) can all relate to Minka, the main female character, who like most of us, defines herself by her flaws/issues - a few pounds overweight, insecurity about her body, confidence issues (which thanks goodness doesn't stop her from jumping into bed with Jason) and loves her glass of wine with a nice dessert, and likes to feel sorry for herself at times. And she is supposedly in love with an old college crush - the one she thinks that got away (you’ll need to read the book for more details). So we can all relate to her in one way or another, including her stubbornness in clinging to those issues and using them as an excuse not to get on with her life or even make the way...

Problems with revising my novel and adopting the Chuck Wendig Plan of how to revise your novel.

So I'm still struggling with editing my novel. I took some time out to have a break doing other things. One of them was moaning about editing on this blog and other was looking at ways to tell the story. Now I realise the problem with my story is I have nothing to say. It's as simple as that.  I don't really have anything to say give I've completed a novel. To write something you must have something to say - well I don't really. So there lies the problem. You can only revise and edit something if you have an aim in mind. All I want is just to complete the novel which I have. So maybe now I just have to figure what the novel is about. So I discovered Chuck Wendig a novelist and games designer  ( Terrible Minds blog ) who swears like a trooper in his blog however has given freely valid and great advice on how to edit a novel. His post called How To Karate Your Novel And Edit That Motherfucker Hard: A No-Foolin’ Fix-That-Shit Editing Plan To Finish The Goddamn Jo...