Skip to main content

My London Hood: The Postal Museum in London

post boxes

I know communications has moved on and now everyone just uses text messages, emails and DMs or social media but The Postal Museum was a gem I found tucked in the depths of Clerkenwell (a London District), one day as I was going to Gails an artisan bakery.

 It was free entry and had lots of activities for children and adults. The battered green post box on the left hand-side is the first ever, the next was a special edition for Queen Victoria and then gold one for some celebration. Not sure what, it was probably the Olympics or something.

Though small the had plenty of display, like old carriages, and tales of highway robbers and a few fire arms on display.
royal mail carriage







This was the motorbikes for the telegram boys, no need for that with email now.

Old fashioned telephones and there was a telephone box as well.

You can see a few around central London, but mostly for tourists.

A few display of war time letters, they were very poignant, and a few sad, others happy.
letters from the postal museum
This was a sad one during one of the world wars, and I think it was from India, the one below was more humorous.
letters from the postal museum
letters from the postal museum
This sent from a man writing his girlfriend from the warfront saying maybe he should apply if she doesn't want him. It was in a new paper cutting to enclosed in his letter. I would make a nice romance novel, don't you think. I wonder if the girls every got matched up? As you can see there was no dowry, but beauty and youth were the compensation.

This was my feedback, and it saved me from finding another location for this feature.

I highly recommend visiting it. There are no crowds, lots of activities and great displays. There is also a gift shop and outdoor cafe.

https://www.postalmuseum.org

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My African American & Black Love Romance Adventure Nearly Ready After Four Years.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read this. This post is going to be about my upcoming black love and African American contemporary romance release, which I think tentatively will be late this year or early 2024. It will be a six-part serialised novel, and I'll reveal the date nearer the time. It has been five years since my last black love romance novel. I have two novellas published on Amazon, and I'm  pleased to finally say, I'm about to publish again. It's been a long time.  I planned to release this book in February 2019, but after a long writer's block and other things, it had taken me this long to complete it.  If you follow this blog on and off, I've spoken about it a lot over the years. I'm thinking maybe I should relabel those blog posts as a series of how it developed.  The Story Description The names have changed well from Angelica to Pippa but it's fine.  Everyone wants someone special but PIPPA MILLER thinks not her. She

Finally I'm getting close to a release date for my urban Black Love African America Romance now Pippa & Leyton

I'm working on a pre-release campaign and it isn't going how I'd like it. However if you have being reading me on and off, you'll know I've been writing some novels-in-progress for the longest times!  I stopped writing about it because it just got EMBARRASSING especially when I planned to release this book in 2019. Yes, five years ago! But it's nearly there.  Leyton & Pippa The heroine started off being called Angelica but I kept on misspelling it so I changed it to Pippa. If you look under the label Angelica & Leyton a lot will come up.  Anyway I'm exciting to say, I'm getting reading for publication soon.  Its going to be a six-part serialised instalment, and I'll have details nearer the time.  Maybe A Six Months Countdown I'm planning between three to six months, however when the details are clear, I'll write a post. I'm also doing an extended blog posts on another blog but I'll keep it short and simple here. 

On holiday And Vacation in Alcudia,Mallorca

I'm on a holiday break in Mallorca, Spain. So this means a I won't be writing the prompt. On holiday, I normally have a break from  the internet though it's difficult nowadays with free WiFi. The hotel is okay. A four star on the lower end of the scale - this means no kettle and renting the safe.   The higher end have more add ons. The room are tiny but functional and nice however in fairness it is a beach holiday destination so I doubt there is much lounging around. Food is okay. Superb beach. Everyone seems laid back and relaxed.