#40 Daily Writing Journal -Why I write African American urban street lit fiction, Why Self-publishing? Will I ever try Traditional Publishing? Plans?
Why I write African American urban street lit fiction
It's a form of escapism for me. I get away from my environment and travel to a different place in my writing. It's also influenced by my interest in hip hop pop culture, larger than life characters and the life style. I also get to write the types of books, I'd like to read in the genre. Because I'm a big fan but at times I'm not sure what I can read. So I write it for myself and then clean up and share with others.
Why Self-publishing route?
Lots of reasons but it's mainly because I'm writing urban fiction.
- I don't write to market so its not commercial. Also it's my slant or take on urban fiction so there is a lot of politics behind.
- No real market in the UK unless it's a crossover
- I write for escapism so I don't deal with certain issues that I have no knowledge of.
- I write what I know but set in my fictional county.
- It is expensive to self-publish but at least my stories have an outlet.
Will I ever Try to Go Traditional publishing route?Maybe. Right now I'm having fun just been able to publish. I guess it I started writing UK based stories but even then, I'm not sure. Maybe.
Plans going forward?
I have a few books in the pipeline. I was going to publish two this year but it seems I may only publish one. We'll see.