Skip to main content

Refocusing on my writing and self-publishing experiment.




Instead of closing the blog, I've decided to focus this blog on my writing and self-publishing experiment. I had this massive plan to self-publish my novel then after going on a editing & pitching course with Curtis Brown Creative school, I decided to query. So before starting go query,  I gave the novel to another reader who wasn't too sure of the commercial market fit. So then I decided to go back to self-publishing. HOWEVER...I didn't really know how to approach it. My story just seemed too big in terms of cost. It would have cost about $1,000 upwards to publish - considering the word count and editorial support.

However Scribophile the writing site had a Q&A by a self-publishing expert, David Kadavy, https://kadavy.net/ who suggested it was best to start small and big towards the goal. At least to learn lessons along the way until one is comfortable. So I did that.  IT AN EYE OPENER!

So even though I was keeping an eye on costs, I still spend a lot more than I planned. Some were set-up costs and others were directly related to publishing the books. I also learnt about the nasty and grey side of self-publishing. But in the end, it's business. It's all about business.

The biggest takeaway was having a support network and MARKETING. And what if people you know don't what to know or you don't want to tell them?  Well.....it's difficult one, and it's something I'm struggling with now.

All I can say is that is you don't have a network who you can inform about your book, or bloggers who will review your book in advance, or even have big marketing campaigns where you offer your book at a discount...while paying a ton of cash. Well, do you get discouraged? Do you plow on? Do you look for that agent and just focus on writing?

ON the other hand, loss making or not, it's been a very positive experience. My family have stopped asking me when I will I publish. I've sold about 7 copies, and a few kindle unlimited reads. I like the kindle Unlimited reads statistics because they give me the rates of 'Did Not Finish' which has been low.

I'm about two months late with the second release, it was due out in September, but October has been very busy so I'm hoping perhaps by the end of next week.

MARKETING? I'm thinking of some campaigns but again it's about having the time and energy. Social media is pretty time consuming.  I tried Twitter and Instagram but I'm not naturally on those platform, so my interest ran out quickly. I'm also not sure how to promote on those site. Though I'm thinking of something...

However it's only one book out. So I'll give myself at least a year in this self-publishing experiment with two more planned and see what happens.

Anyway I'll up date as I go along.

Cheers


-----------------------------------------------------------
 Check out Bigga Day's books on

Smashwords.com
https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/bigga
Apple iBooks
https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/bigga-day/id595585425?mt=11
Barnes and Nobles
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/c/bigga-day
Kobo
http://store.kobobooks.com/en-US/Search?query=Bigga%20Day&fcsearchfield=Author

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My African American & Black Love Romance Adventure Nearly Ready After Four Years.

Thanks for dropping by and taking the time to read this. This post is going to be about my upcoming black love and African American contemporary romance release, which I think tentatively will be late this year or early 2024. It will be a six-part serialised novel, and I'll reveal the date nearer the time. It has been five years since my last black love romance novel. I have two novellas published on Amazon, and I'm  pleased to finally say, I'm about to publish again. It's been a long time.  I planned to release this book in February 2019, but after a long writer's block and other things, it had taken me this long to complete it.  If you follow this blog on and off, I've spoken about it a lot over the years. I'm thinking maybe I should relabel those blog posts as a series of how it developed.  The Story Description The names have changed well from Angelica to Pippa but it's fine.  Everyone wants someone special but PIPPA MILLER thinks not her. She

Finally I'm getting close to a release date for my urban Black Love African America Romance now Pippa & Leyton

I'm working on a pre-release campaign and it isn't going how I'd like it. However if you have being reading me on and off, you'll know I've been writing some novels-in-progress for the longest times!  I stopped writing about it because it just got EMBARRASSING especially when I planned to release this book in 2019. Yes, five years ago! But it's nearly there.  Leyton & Pippa The heroine started off being called Angelica but I kept on misspelling it so I changed it to Pippa. If you look under the label Angelica & Leyton a lot will come up.  Anyway I'm exciting to say, I'm getting reading for publication soon.  Its going to be a six-part serialised instalment, and I'll have details nearer the time.  Maybe A Six Months Countdown I'm planning between three to six months, however when the details are clear, I'll write a post. I'm also doing an extended blog posts on another blog but I'll keep it short and simple here. 

On holiday And Vacation in Alcudia,Mallorca

I'm on a holiday break in Mallorca, Spain. So this means a I won't be writing the prompt. On holiday, I normally have a break from  the internet though it's difficult nowadays with free WiFi. The hotel is okay. A four star on the lower end of the scale - this means no kettle and renting the safe.   The higher end have more add ons. The room are tiny but functional and nice however in fairness it is a beach holiday destination so I doubt there is much lounging around. Food is okay. Superb beach. Everyone seems laid back and relaxed.